Cholesterol The Facts - The Truth About Cholesterol And The Misconception Sorrounding It!



Wikipedia

"Cholesterol is a waxy steroid of fat that is manufactured in the liver or intestines to produce hormones and cell membranes and transported in the blood plasma of all mammals. It is an essential structural component of mammalian cell membranes, where it is required to establish proper membrane permeability and fluidity."

Cholesterol is also an important component for the manufacture of bile acids, steroid hormones, and Vitamin D.

This simply means, it is a chemical compound that is naturally produced by the body and is a combination of lipid (fat) and steroid. It is a building block for cell membranes and for hormones like estrogen and testosterone.

Dairy products, organ meats, like liver, are especially high in cholesterol content.

Foods of plant origin do not have cholesterol

High Cholesterol - video

After a meal, it is absorbed from the intestine and stored in the liver. The liver is able to regulate its levels in the blood stream and can secrete it, if it is needed by the body.

It may surprise you to know that it is not a bad substance. It is just one of the many substances created and used by our bodies to keep us healthy. Some of this substance we need is produced naturally while some of it comes from the food we eat.

Cholesterol comes from two sources

From your liver and other cells in your body. They make about 75 percent of blood cholesterol, the other 25 percent comes from the foods you eat.

A healthy level of HDL may also protect against heart attack and stroke. Low levels of HDL, less than 40 mg/dL for men and less than 50 mg/dL for women, have been shown to increase the risk of heart disease.

If you need to increase your HDL, regular physical activity can help your body produce more. Reducing trans fats and eating a balanced, nutritious diet is another way to increase HDL.

LDL is "bad", when too much of it circulates in the blood, it can clog arteries, increasing your risk of heart attack and stroke.

Cholesterol Overview

Many people inherit genes from their parents, even grand parents that cause them to make too much. Eating saturated fat, trans fats also increases it.

Please do your friends or love ones a favor, if you like this article and videos, tell them about it. You may save a life .



Home - Cholesterol And You





What Is Cholesterol?

Cholesterol is a word that has aroused millions of people all over the world. Are you one of them? This word - "Cholesterol" - is portrayed as a public enemy No. 1. WHY? Let`s find out why.

Cholesterol Myths